Explore these events!
- WWCC will be at my FLEX on Tuesday, Feb. 19 - sign up for it to come and talk to them about financial aid, applications, or anything else. Sign up under Support-Curles
- Grand Canyon University will be at my Thursday, February 21 - FLEX - sign up to talk to them about their school (Juniors and seniors welcome). Sign up under Support-Curles
THINK ABOUT JOINING ME ON A FIELD TRIP! I have a handful coming up!
- Interested in hospitality? Join me on a field trip to the Marcus Whitman Hotel. We'll learn about the event planning, front desk, kitchen, engineering departments, and more! February 26th 9-11ish. Forms and information are available outside my office in the Libes.
- Sophomores and Juniors: Thinking about SEATech next year? Come join me March 6th for a tour! 2nd, 3rd, and flex periods. Forms are outside my office
- Do you love Science? Join GEAR UP and me at Explore Science Day at CBC. Friday, March 15 most of the day. Forms are outside my office or in the GEAR UP room.
- Do you want to go into health care? Join GEAR UP and me at WWCC's SCRUBS day! March 29, most of the day. Forms are outside my office or in the GEAR UP room.
GET READY FOR SUMMER JOBS
Yes, I know snow is falling, but companies are beginning to think about summer employment. Make sure your resume is up to date and share it with an adult to make sure it looks good before you take it into a business. (I'm happy to be that adult for you - just email it to me).
- LimaGrain will be in my office Thursday for FLEX looking to meet people who will be 18 this summer and are interested in working in agriculture. Sign up under support-Curles
START THINKING ABOUT YOUR T-2-4/Military timeline (Juniors and Seniors)
Lewis and Clark College Health Professions Day - February 15th.
This event is for sophomores and juniors who may be interested in pursuing a health professions career path. Interested students will need to register online.
View agenda for the day and the session descriptions.
- Explore and gain a better understanding of career opportunities in health care including dentistry, medicine, nursing, radiography, athletic training, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician's assistant, veterinary medicine, and more (see website for full list)
There's a great job opportunity at the City of Walla Walla:
Job opportunity for anyone 15 or older (preferably with baseball/softball experience): 2019 Blue Mountain Girls Softball Association- Umpire 10U games
Games are Tuesday/Thursday/ Saturday
Tuesday/Thursday- Pioneer Park. Saturday- Mill Creek SportsPlex
All games run under time limit rules of 1.5 hours
We provide all umpire gear
Umpires don't have tax taken out of their check!
Pay per game is $18
Contact Clay Lindsey CLindsey@wallawallawa.gov if interested
ALSO... Grades 9-11, there are some really cool programs in my office like:
* HOBY Leadership camp (for sophomores)
* Summer studies at Washington University (in St Louis)
* STARS camp for engineering at UW this summer
* Pre-College programs at Penn University and Boston University
* Summer study abroad
* School year study abroad
Come to my office or email me for more information!
- Is College not your thing?Come talk to me about Job Corp or Apprenticeship!
- Do you love STEM?Check out STEM Signing Day!
- Scholarships are still very much a thing:Check them all out here! Some featured scholarships;
- Leadership 1000:For leaders who want to go to College in Washington and have financial need. Award ranges $1500-5000 and 3 Wa-Hi students are guaranteed to win. Due Feb 28, 2019
- WSA of WA Scholarship: For children of active duty police or fire personnel. Award is $2500. Due March 1st
- Look into your parents' work! Certified teachers, Classified school district staff, City/County Union members, Penitentiary, and others all have scholarships for staff dependents.
- Are you going to CC next year? Here's what you need to do! (Questions? ask Ms Curles)
- Make sure you applied!
- Fill out your FAFSA/WASFA
- WWCC Foundation scholarship
- WWCC Financial Aid paperwork
• Want to learn about being a Medical Lab Technician? Wenatchee Valley CC is offering a distance MLT program with internships in Walla Walla. If you're interested in this cool opportunity, see Ms. Curles.
• Interested in a trade? Contact Ms. Curles about Try A Trade.
COLLEGE APPLICATION STUFF
- As some of the early action application results are coming in, feel free to find me if you would like help interpreting your package. It's kinda complicated.
- 58.0% of you haven't filled out your FAFSA. FILL IT OUT!
Here's a cool summer job opportunity: My name is Madeline Weaver and I am a Senior at College Place High School. I am working along side the Walla Walla Sweets to improve their customer's ball park experience. Right now, we are searching the valley for a brand new set of managers to work in the ball park this summer. I am seeking out counselors, student advisors, and coaches, in hopes of being directed to a few students who will be in Walla Walla for the summer and would be interested in something like this.These managers will be responsible for keeping the output of food and beverages running smoothly, and managing their team of employees during games.
This is a new edition to the ball park and we are looking for these skills and traits in possible candidates:
Problem Solving skills
*Must be 18 by June 2019
If you can think of a few possible candidates who would be interested in this position (and good at it!), I would love to get in contact with them. Let Madeline know if you're interested Madeline Weaver <firstname.lastname@example.org> and let me know if you have questions